- MLA Delegate for Distance and Continuing Education, 2012-present
- SSAWW, Society for the Study of American Women Writers. Vice President for Publications; webmaster; editor and publisher, SSAWW Newsletter; listserv moderator, 2008-2014; Program Committee, 2003; Advisory Board, 2006-2008.
- American Studies Association. Chair, Regional Chapters Committee, 2004-2008; Representative, Pacific Northwest American Studies Association, 2002-2008.
- International Theodore Dreiser Society. President, 2010-2012; Vice President and Program Chair, 2008-2010.
- Jack London Society. President, 2006-2008; Vice President, 2004-2006; Executive Board, 1999-present.
- Edith Wharton Society. President, 2004-2006; Vice President, 2003-2005; Secretary, 2001-2003; Executive Board, 1999-2001; web design and maintenance, list management, and @EdithWhartonSoc on Twitter, 1999-present.
- Hamlin Garland Society. President, 2005-2007; Vice President, 2004-2006.
- Stephen Crane Society. President, 2002-2004; Vice President and Program Chair, 2000-2002; Program Committee Member, 1999-2000; Web site creation, design, and maintenance, 2000-present.
- W. D. Howells Society. Secretary, 1997-2009; Web site creation, design, and maintenance and list management for howells-l, 1997-present.
National/International: American Studies Association (ASA); Modern Language Association (MLA); Society for the Study of American Women Writers (SSAWW); Popular Culture Association (PCA); Western Literature Association (WAL); Digital Americanists.
Regional: Pacific Northwest American Studies Association (PNASA); Rocky Mountain Modern Language Association (RMMLA); SSAWW Northwest Study Group.
Special Interest: Stephen Crane Society, International Theodore Dreiser Society, Hamlin Garland Society, Jack London Society, Frank Norris Society, William Dean Howells Society, Edith Wharton Society, Rebecca Harding Davis Society.
- Editor, ESQ: A Journal of the American Renaissance 2010-2011
- American Literary Realism, 2005-present
- University of Alabama Press Series Studies in American Literary Realism and Naturalism. Series Editor: Gary Scharnhorst, University of New Mexico
- Bedford Anthology of American Literature, (vol. II; 2007-present)
- The Edith Wharton Review, 1999-present
- Legacy (Referee; Editorial Board of Consultants 1999-; Advisory Board, 2004-2006)
- Studies in American Naturalism, 2004-present
- College of Arts and Sciences Strategic Planning Committee, 2012-present
- Provost’s Leadership Academy, 2011- 2012
- Integration Committee for the College of Arts and College of Sciences, 2011-2012
Department Service: Washington State University
- Vice Chair and Scheduler, 2013-present
- Undergraduate Studies Committee, 2012-present
- Ad hoc Committee on Online Learning, 2012-present
- Director (interim), Graduate Studies, 2008-2009
- Graduate Studies Committee, 2006-2010
- Search Committees: Chair, 2005-6, 2011-2012; member, 2004-5, 2005-6
- Ad hoc Committee on Graduate Assessment, 2008 (Spring)
- Chair, Nineteenth-century 3xx-course Curriculum Revision Committee, 2004-2005